1. When Kim Kardashian was held up at gunpoint and robbed in October last year, it was clear the horrific ordeal would have some kind of lasting impact on her future.
2. And in an unprecedented move, Kim removed herself from the public eye and abstained from social media for three months as she recovered from the incident.
5. The video, posted to her website, shows intimate family moments, including Saint learning to walk.
6. And heartfelt hugs with Kanye.
7. Kim then took to her favourite social media platform, Instagram, to execute part two of her comeback. She shared this photo of the Wests alongside the caption: “Family.”
8. Deciding to make her return with a home video and a simple family portrait sent a powerful message to the media and public: She and Kanye are united.
Kimye have been dogged by persistent nasty rumours about their marriage recently, with constant reports suggesting a divorce is imminent.
However, rather than commenting on the rumours about her marriage, Kim let the visible happiness in the video and the unity in the photo do all the talking. The video was even set to a soundtrack of Jeremih’s “Paradise” – as if to directly counter the rumours of there being “trouble in paradise” for Kimye.
9. Silencing the speculation in this way is something the Kardashians often do in order to control their own narratives.
In fact, Kim did the same thing this time last year when Kanye had an almighty Twitter spat with Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose. While the media was rife with suggestions that Amber, Kim, and Kanye all hated each other, Kim stepped in.
10. Two days after the spat, she and Amber posed for a selfie together and simultaneously shared it to their accounts, with Kim captioning it “Tea anyone?” and Amber posting the “sips tea” emojis.
The selfie completely changed the conversation from one of negativity to one of excitement and intrigue, and also shifted the focus off Kanye.
But, more importantly, the use of a selfie and the chosen captions implied that the drama was being fabricated by the press. It gave the impression that neither the press nor the public knew what was going on behind the scenes – and in turn allowed Kim to take back control of the narrative.
11. Kim’s return to social media has had the exact same effect in shutting down divorce rumours. And it effectively proves that despite three months away from the public eye, Kim is still an incredibly savvy media operator.
It was also interesting that the photo Kim chose to return to the limelight with displayed none of the things that have come to define her social media presence: no selfie, no emojis, nothing overly ~sexy~ or posed.
In fact, her face was turned away from the camera, and that’s also the case for each subsequent photo she’s posted since. Sharing a family photo with a simple caption, referring to the three people most important to her, is a clear signifier that they are her priority now.
That’s unsurprising, given the confirmation that Kim begged for her life during the robbery because she “has babies,” and the fact she flew straight to them afterwards. She also remained at Kanye’s side during his week in hospital at the end of the year, and reports have suggested Kim has decided to alter her lifestyle since the robbery, focusing less on ~celebrity~ and more on family.
It’s unlikely Kim will withdraw from the public eye completely – but perhaps 2017 will see her scale back her public appearances in favour of more time at home.
12. The idea that her priorities have shifted was confirmed by Khloé Kardashian this week.
Writing on her app, Khloé revealed:
I think with everything that has happened with Kim’s life this year, she really had to redefine her priorities. Time does heal and I think she’s in a much better place now. So, I just want her to focus on her family and her own happiness this year.
14. There’s also been a literal change in how Kim is presenting herself, given that her new photos have a distinctly ’90s Polaroid aesthetic.
The images have a blurry quality and an incredibly personal feel. It’ll be interesting to see whether this is something Kim continues, if the images are symbolic of a less flashy lifestyle.
15. Kim returning to social media this week is also interesting, as her first public appearance since the robbery is scheduled for next week on 13 January.
The appearance is at a makeup masterclass she’s hosting with her makeup artist, Mario Dedivanovic, in Dubai. The appearance was originally scheduled for 14 October – 10 days after the robbery – but was cancelled. Kim coming back to social media a week before the appearance was presumably planned so as to ease her back into the public eye.
17. However, it’s clear that if anything, Kim’s absence has simply heightened the public’s interest in her. The family portrait Kim returned with has now amassed over 4 million likes, making it the most-liked photo any Kardashian/Jenner has ever shared.
18. One thing is very clear: THE. QUEEN. IS. BACK.
Cortesía de: BuzzFeedFollow @DifusionLibre1