1. A homeless boy in the Philippines is getting help after a student snapped a photo of him doing his homework outside because he had nowhere else to go.
2. Joyce Torrefranca, a student in Mandaue City, posted the photos of the boy to Facebook on June 23, and they soon went viral in the country and spread across the world. “I got inspired by a kid,” she wrote.
3. After the photo blew up, the Philippine news station ABS-CBN reported that it found the boy at a restaurant near where the picture was taken.
The boy was identified by the station as a third-grader named Daniel Cabrera. Daniel’s mom, Christina Espinosa, who is a widow, and his sibling work at the restaurant.
The station reported that the family doesn’t have a permanent place to live after their home was destroyed in a fire, and Daniel’s mother is struggling to make ends meet. The family is temporarily living at the restaurant.
Espinosa makes 80 Philippine pesos a day, which is equal to about $ 1.77.
4. The boy and his mom appeared on a local radio station, and Daniel said he hopes to one day become a police officer.
He said his dream was inspired by his father.
5. As Daniel’s story spread across the web, donations began to pour in for his family.
A local politician, Rep. Samuel Pagdilao, has given Daniel a scholarship, and Espinosa has been given grants from sponsors to start her own business, ABS-CBN reported.
The family have also received donations of money and food from local law enforcement and are working with a social worker to see how else they can be helped, according to the TV station.
6. Torrefranca wrote on Facebook she was amazed by the power of a simple photo.
“I didn’t think that a simple photo can make a huge difference,” she wrote. “Thank you guys for sharing the photo. With that, we were able to help Daniel in reaching his dreams. I hope Daniel’s story will continue touching our hearts so that we will always be inspired and motivated in every situation we face in life.”
BuzzFeed News has contacted Joyce Torrefranca for comment.
Cortesía de: BuzzFeedFollow @DifusionLibre1