1. 16-year-old actress Amandla Stenberg, known for her part as Rue in The Hunger Games, is no stranger to calling out cultural appropriation.
2. She has criticized white celebrities’ cultural appropriation of black women’s hairstyles before, wondering: “What would America be like if it loved black people as much as it loves black culture?”
3. So when Kylie Jenner rocked cornrows in a new Instagram uploaded on Saturday, using the caption: “I woke up like disss,” some might have expected a response from Amandla.
Cornrows are a popular protective styling amongst black women, used to prevent the ends of their hair from becoming split or damaged.
4. Unfortunately, Kylie’s new hair also coincided with the trending hashtag #WhiteGirlsDoItBetter on Twitter.
#WhiteGirlsDoItBetter trending? what the hell? ladies…
— ChelseyLora (@Chelsey Lora)
5. The hashtag was met with pushback due to claims of its racial insensitivity.
Only racists could make a racist hashtag and then accuse the victims of racism when they defend themselves. #WhiteGirlsDoItBetter
— NaturallyTiss (@Imperator Furio-Tiss)
6. So when someone commented #WhiteGirlsDoItBetter on Kylie’s Instagram, Amandla jumped in with a response.
7. Amandla’s full text reads:
when u appropriate black features and culture but fail to use ur position of power to help black Americans by directing attention towards ur wigs instead of police brutality or racism #whitegirlsdoitbetter
8. Kylie attemped a clapback with:
9. Who wouldn’t want to hang out with Jaden Smith, though?
View on Instagram
Cortesía de: BuzzFeedFollow @DifusionLibre1