1. Here’s a video of Rebekah Aversano touching the transplanted face of her dead brother, now on a man named Richard Norris.
The encounter was filmed by 60 Minutes Australia.
2. Norris, 39, was severely disfigured after a shooting accident in 1997.
3. In 2012, he underwent one of the most complex face transplants in history.
It took 36 hours, and during the process he received teeth, a jaw, and even new tongue muscles.
4. Norris had only a 50% chance of surviving the operation.
But he elected to go through with it, saying he had “lived through hell”, hiding behind a mask and only leaving his house at night due to abuse from strangers in the street.
5. Aversano’s family, from Maryland, donated the face of her brother Joshua, 21, after he was killed in a road accident three years ago.
7. Gwen Aversano, the mother of Rebekah and Joshua, said, “It was the right thing to do.”
She told CTV News: “We can definitely see our son in him. Some of the facial features would definitely be our son, so we could see similarities, very much so … We are just so pleased we have been able to help him, even though we had such a tragic loss, we were able to give someone else the benefit of our son.”
Cortesía de: BuzzFeedFollow @DifusionLibre1