Lahren claims in a lawsuit filed Friday in a Dallas court that she was told to stay quiet in an effort for the conservative publication to “sanitize” her comments and firing. The 24-year-old said she was not allowed to talk about being suspended from the network, and was locked out of her Facebook page and millions of social media followers.
Lahren made the abortion comments last month on ABC’s The View, but the lawsuit is the first public confirmation that the popular commentator was no longer employed by the conservative outlet.
“It is puzzling that an employee who remains under contract (and is still being paid) has sued us for being fired, especially when we continue to comply fully with the terms of our agreement with her,” the statement read.
After the lawsuit was filed Friday, Lahren posted a thinly veiled comment about the lawsuit on Twitter.
Known for her fiery attacks on liberals, millennials and democrats, Lahren surprised many fans when she revealed her stance on abortion.
“I can’t sit here and be a hypocrite and say I’m for limited government but I think the government should decide what women do with their bodies,” she said.
In the lawsuit, reviewed by BuzzFeed News, Lahren said that at first she was applauded for the appearance by a producer from The Blaze, who traveled with her to the show. She also received several emails from other employees over her appearance.
“No one told Plaintiff that her statements on the The View were either improper or inappropriate; and, indeed, Plaintiff’s point of view is just that – her point of view and freedom of expression,” the lawsuit reads.
In the suit, Lahren claims she had stated her personal view on abortion before, but it had not become a problem in the past.
Days after the show, Lahren was told she was suspended indefinitely.
The lawsuit claims that after she was fired, attorneys for The Blaze “attempted to put the genie back in the proverbial bottle” by stating that Lahren had not been fired, but only suspended from conservative outlet, meaning The Blaze and Beck could maintain control of her Facebook account.
“She was directed to stay away from her Facebook page and other social media, and she was prohibited from making public comments,” the suit reads. “Presumably, hoping they could find an exit strategy to sanitize their unlawful conduct.”
In return, the suit claims, Lahren was told she would be continued to be paid, although she would no longer be working at the publication.
Lahren and her attorneys claim that attorneys at The Blaze claimed she had only been suspended after she had been fired. Therefore, they said they had a right to block Lahren from interacting with her followers on Facebook.
Beck did not immediately return requests for comment. A spokeswoman for the publication said he would not be making a separate statement.
Cortesía de: BuzzFeedFollow @DifusionLibre1